Planning Your Overseas Wedding – Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage

During the planning phase of your wedding the local government authorities in your chosen country may request from you and your fiancé that Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage are submitted. These certificates are issued to Australian citizens by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and confirm there are no legal obstacles that stop the named person from getting married, for example, being underage or already married. A Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage is not required when getting married in Australia.

If you are part of a same-sex couple, you may apply to DFAT for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage so that you can take part in your wedding ceremony and be recognised as being married in accordance to the laws in your chosen overseas country. It is important to realise that while you and your partner’s marriage will not be recognised in Australia, it will be considered to be evidence of a de-facto relationship in relation to Commonwealth, State and Territory laws.

Depending on the country, local marriage authorities may require this Certificate to be issued by the Australian Embassy or Consulate within that particular country. This means if you and your intended spouse are living in Australia, the Certificates will need to be notarised by a Notary Public before being forwarded to the local Australian Embassy or Consulate to be issued. As part of your marriage application, you may also be required to provide the following documents:

• Personal identification such as a passport or birth certificate to confirm your identity
• Bank statement, utilities bill or similar document to proof your residential address
• Copy of divorce decree or Death Certificate if previously married
• Single Status Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that states that you have never been married in Victoria
• Affidavit, statutory declaration or sworn statement that declares/swears that you are single and freely choose to marry your fiancé

Before sending these additional documents, it is important to check with the relevant overseas marriage authorities if the documents or their copies are required to notarised and forwarded to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to be stamped with an Apostille or authenticated.

Australians wishing to marry overseas can encounter a number of issues during the planning process. The requirements set by marriage officials can vary from country to country and should carefully be checked before the marriage application is completed. For this reason, if you are planning to marry in another country you may wish to consider legally marrying in Australia and holding the ceremony or celebration in the country of your choice. This still allows you and your fiancé to plan a romantic overseas ceremony or marry in the presence of overseas family and friends.

Residents from Australia can instantly book an appointment for notary services by clicking either red box below depending on appointment location. You will arrive at an external booking system where you can choose an appropriate appointment time to see John Pearce at his Melbourne City or Eastern Suburbs Office.



Fees range between $88 – $132 for 1 – 5 notarisations. The exact figure depends on the number of times the notarial seal and signature will need to be applied. If you require more than 5 notarisations, please book an extra timeslot.

Office Locations:
City Office  (Business Hours & Sunday)
Level 13, 200 Queen Street,


the Eastern Suburbs Office (After Hours & Weekends)
10 Frank Street,
Box Hill South.

What you need to bring:
100 points of ID as well as all documents needing to be notarised.

Please Note:
Appointments cancelled with less than 24 hours notice may incur a fee. Please ensure that you arrive in a timely manner.